Disclaimer

This blog contains some simple tips and advice from two regular guys. We're not accountants, financial advisors, or brokers, so follow, ignore, or discuss our ideas as you see fit.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Article: Paying More When You Try To Save

Posted By Paul

I thought this article was interesting. It's a series of stories where the original intention was to save money on a house project, and then end result was that it ended up costing far more than planned.

It reminded me of when I was a kid and my Dad would have me be his assistant when he did repairs on the car. Many time what was supposed to be an afternoon project would quickly balloon in complexity and price.

My favorite is when what was supposed to be a one day job involved the purchasing of several new tools, and several new parts (because by doing the work he accidentally broke other things) over several days, and the project ended with my Dad paying to get the partially dismantled car towed to a mechanic so that the work could be completed properly.

Of course the annoying part is that with many of these projects you only know if you saved money in hindsight, but I thought it was a good point to keep in mind that sometimes trying too hard to save money can end up costing you.

Enjoy!

Mistakes We've Made, So You Won't Have To



No comments: