Disclaimer

This blog contains some simple tips and advice from two regular guys. We're not accountants, financial advisors, or brokers, so follow, ignore, or discuss our ideas as you see fit.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Article: America's Biggest Rip-offs

Posted By Paul

A cool article on CNNMoney about the biggest rip offs in America.

It defined a rip-off as something you use or consume that has a REALLY high mark up.

I thought that made some good choices. Ones in the list that I especially liked:

Text Messages - I rarely send text messages (at least in part because I'm not very practiced at typing them out on my phone) but when you think about the amount of data that is being sent, the prices are pretty ridiculous.

Movie theater popcorn - I've never been one to get snacks at a movie (usually because I feel like eating at the same time distracts me from the movie), but it comes as no surprise that movie theater popcorn was one of the major rip-offs. I liked the quote that was listed in this section:

"A lot of theater owners tell me, 'I consider myself working in concessions, not movies.'"

'Free' Credit Reports that aren't - beware of the 'free' services that sign you up for 'credit monitoring' for $15 a month and hope you don't notice.

Worth a read:

America's Biggest Rip-offs

No comments: