Disclaimer

This blog contains some simple tips and advice from two regular guys. We're not accountants, financial advisors, or brokers, so follow, ignore, or discuss our ideas as you see fit.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Staying ahead of the game

Posted by Matt

Did you see my recent post about my disappointment with my savings account? Well, I just got more disappointed. I read an article last week that inflation was 4.1 percent last year, meaning my savings account is just barely keeping me ahead. At least it reminds me why I don't just keep my savings under the mattress.

I guess we all might need to be a little more aggressive about pay raises this year. I've had some in the past that were less than 4% (with reassurances from my manager that that was still above average), but didn't think about whether that worked out to an effective pay decrease for me.
You might also try to be particularly frugal with common expenditures like your grocery and gas bills as the article points out that these generally rose faster than inflation (e.g., gas went up 8.2% and eggs rose 29.2%!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you can find an Aldi or Save-a-Lot grocery store in your area, they offer significant savings on your food bill. The stores offer what's called a "limited assortment," meaning that they sell the most commonly purchased size of the most popular grocery items. Not only does this speed up your shopping trip because the store is smaller, you also don't have to stand there trying to decide between 60 brands and varieties of grape jelly. :lol: