Disclaimer

This blog contains some simple tips and advice from two regular guys. We're not accountants, financial advisors, or brokers, so follow, ignore, or discuss our ideas as you see fit.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Follow up: Return to minimalism

Posted by Matt

To recap, about a month ago I posted about trying to maintain a minimal number of possessions, and I thought I'd give you a progress update. I hate to admit it, but I didn't get rid of nearly as many shoes as I had hoped. The good news is that it is because I'm wearing some of them again! When I was going through the piles, I found one pair that made me stop and think, "These are really a nice pair of shoes." I decided to give them another week at the office and have decided that I really like them. They're brown, unfortunately, but that just means I won't replace them when they wear out.

I've got a black pair of oxfords that I haven't been able to bring myself to wear again, though, so I'll probably take those down to my donation pile right after this post. The only other thing I bought was a pair of new khakis for work (one in) to replace a pair that don't fit me anymore (one out). The pants are comfortable, versatile, won't go out of style before they wear out and I bought them on a gift card!

So far, the plan is going well. The real challenges will come over the next few weeks as we move into our new house. Past experience has taught me that moving seems to always inspire shopping...I'll have to be careful.

No comments: