Disclaimer

This blog contains some simple tips and advice from two regular guys. We're not accountants, financial advisors, or brokers, so follow, ignore, or discuss our ideas as you see fit.

Friday, December 14, 2007

Using our state tax rebate (kicker) constructively.

Posted by Matt

The kicker checks have arrived! In my original post about kicker checks, I indicated that I was planning to put my check into a Roth IRA. I then changed my mind about starting a Roth IRA at all, so what am I going to do with the money?

I wish it were up to me. Truth be told, the money was budgeted for spending before it ever got here, but I thought it would be worth listing what I think are some positive ways that we're using the money. As I mentioned previously, we've incurred some "extra" expenses associated with our new house.

And we have more coming soon:

  • Energy efficiency measures recommended during our energy audit. (Write-up coming soon!)
  • A new drain to divert water from draining into our crawlspace (getting bids and considering a little more DIY).
  • New furniture (looking for more home decor suggestions).

Obviously, the arrival of the check comes at an opportune time, and we'll be looking forward to our tax return, too!

No comments: